Nigeria

Nigeria
Felicia Eberechi owns this small shop where she sells petty items to members of the community. Date: 2014. Location: Nigeria. Photo by: Ifeanyi Orajaka.

Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa and is considered the second largest economy on the continent. The country produces a low electricity generation capacity of 4,600 MW, which serves only 45 percent of the population. The other 55 percent use kerosene and other dangerous and unhealthy fuels to light their homes.

IEEE Smart Village awarded a $16,000 grant to field test the IEEE Smart Village portable battery franchise model in Egbeke Village.